6.02.2011

Do Not Attempt This At Home

Locust trees have a mixed reputation. They are considered invasive in some parts of the country, depending on the cultivar. I remember when I was looking for a New Mexico locust at a now defunct nursery in Albuquerque, a patron remarked that locusts were throwaway trees where he was from. New Mexico locusts have a light pink - almost a peach color robe. I would see them in stands at the dog park. Alas, my attempt to plant one failed. So I settled for second best, a purple robe locust. It was more of a "like to have" than a "must have" and remained an inchoate thought planted in the back of my mind for four or more years.   

Two years ago, I popped into K-Mart while running errands one Saturday. It's a place where I find unexpected botanical treasures. There wasn't anything remarkable about the perennials, but the trees were 75% off. The 20 gallon purple robe locust was roughly $15. It was a bargain I couldn't pass up. However, I drive a station wagon and was at loss about how to get it home. I bought it anyway.

I couldn't put it in a cart so two store employees helped me to get it to the cashier then load it in my car. Did I mention that I drive a station wagon? Fortunately, the back seat is collapsible and so is the front passenger seat. One of the employees pushed it as far as possible on the passenger side front seat. I tied it up with some rope.  However, the tree protruded a few feet from the back of my car. I wasn't sure about the how secure it was and the hatchback wouldn't close.

I live seven minutes from the store so I took a deep breath and pulled away from the curb. I drove with one hand and held onto to the tree for dear life with the other. Every time I looked at the rear mirror I noticed that the other drivers kept their distance. I didn't wonder why. I made it home and backed into my driveway and was uncertain about how to get the tree into the back yard. 

But I needed to do something because the hatch was sitting open. I was too embarrassed to call any of my friends who are stronger than me so I went and fetched the wheelbarrow. After some maneuvering, I managed to push the tree to the collapsed back seat and pull it into the wheelbarrow. I no longer regard my purple robe locust as second best.  

Seriously, this was my one and only time I've driven with one hand. I pull over to use my cell phone or let it ring. 

Not a great photo, but you can see the tree in its environment. The wind has been blustery and not conducive to photography or to black landscape staying in place. 

16 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a locust tree. It's really pretty and I like how you landscaped the rocks in a swirl around it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, my, my--the risks you run for your garden... A hard-won purple robe locust, indeed. It's a perfect center for your spiral bed with the pink chintz--very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bumble Lush - Glad to introduce you to a new tree. Still working on the spiral, but pleased with the progress so far.

    @Stacy - I put a few more thyme plants in this week. But I'm loving how pretty the pink thyme flowers are. The pink chintz worked out better than expected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you fit that tree into a station wagon! I must learn from you :). It looks great in its new home, I love the spiral of stones and purple groundcover, very unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trip was a bit harrowing I am sure, lucky you did not have far to go. Your tree is pretty, but you should stake it for the first year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @GWGT - Thanks for the advice. Tree staking is confusing to me. I will email you on Blotanical for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Masha - The thyme has filled in well. Hopefully, it will fill in more in the next year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the spiral pattern around tree. Unique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mother Nature - I'm was hoping to work on the spiral some more this weekend, but my wheelbarrow has a flat and needs some new hardware. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post!

    We are kindred spirits I think, because I have pulled more than one craving caper trying to get a large plant, or a car load of plants home... often stuffed all around my children. They are used to it by now.

    I have wondered what that beautiful tree was. Definitely worth the hassle.
    Thanks!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. @WMG - Thanks for commenting! A friend kidded me later that I should have given her a call, since she and her husband have a truck!

    Glad to find another kindred spirit in gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amusing story, mostly because I have been there time after time. Just because you drive a hatchback doesn't mean you can't bring home trees! (Or try to fit conifer trees back there for your friends like I did, from which you are still finding needles in the seats and floormats!)
    It is an interesting looking tree you have, and a thoughtfully laid-out underplanting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I happened on another blogger with the same tree. She was blogging about what happened when the tree was full of blossoms and it rained.
    Your tree is trimed high. You many not only need to stake it, maybe support the branches. It sounds like it easily cracks from heavy weight of rain. Not sure what state you live. I have indigofera and it really leans over with a lot of rain moisture. I did clip it's branches pretty hard. This year was so full. I now support them. Indigofera suckers, I wonder does locus. Nice blog, beautyful tree. Much prettier than the indigofera which is lighter pink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @A rootdigger- Thanks for stopping by. I think I read the same blog. Her tree looked a lot older and fuller than mine. I think I need to worry the first few years about wind damage. I'm not sure about snow since we didn't have much last year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am enjoying looking through your blog! This post made me laugh. Your locust tree is gorgeous, and I like the way you landscaped around it. Your story reminded me of when I bought two ten foot serviceberry tree this spring. They somehow fit into my smallish minivan, and I drove home sitting with a forest of branches surrounding me, with the tips of the trees touching the front windshield!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @debsgarden - It's amazing what we'll do for our gardens. Hope your trees are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...