6.12.2012

Veggie Garden Planner

I'm not much of a garden planner. However, when I had the incipient thought about starting a square foot vegetable garden I did do some research.
Uncertain about what to plant in my square foot garden, I found a website for a vegetable garden planner. It lets you select your garden size. I chose 4 ft by 4 ft. Then you drag and drop the vegetables you want to plant onto a grid. The grid indicates how many of each vegetable to plant in a square. How fun is this!
There wasn't a wide range of vegetables to choose from, but I liked the ease of moving the veggie icons around and having a visual representation. After you're done, you can print to a PDF document and save it on your computer. I didn't plant as many plants in some of the squares as I was supposed to and in others I mixed and matched. The chives are planted with three onions and the basil with three shallots.
This is what the garden looks like today. The tomatoes and pepper are the only plants that I started from seed. The three varieties that I'm growing are: Brandywine, Roma, and Black Krim. I hope you enjoy the online vegetable garden planner as much as I did. Happy planting!

14 comments:

  1. Looks good and will be interesting to see how it does for you this year based on the room they all have. I'm doing a couple things in container so we'll see on mine too. :)

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cher, I'm interested, too. I think the zukes are already shading and crowding out the onions.

      Delete
  2. Your vegetable garden looks nice. I love that the planner shows exactly how many plants should go in each square. It's nice when vegetable gardening can become fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The planner was sort of like a game. I started in a spreadsheet, but it wasn't very engaging. I'm glad I found the planner instead.

      Delete
  3. Your veggies are really coming along--looks like the wildlife is suitably impressed too! Hope the caterpillars leave plenty for you to enjoy. I always love to see marigolds mixed in with vegetables, just for the cheerfulness factor if nothing else. I agree with Holley about seeing how many plants go in each square on the planner--that's a handy visual to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked the caterpillars out and left some store bought lettuce for them to munch. I've never grown marigolds before, but I'm enjoying them in veggie bed.

      Delete
  4. Wow this is a wonderful veg garden...look how happy it is...and that is one easy planner to try. Looking forward to seeing the harvest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I was flummoxed by what veggies to plant in the garden. The planner helped me sort out visually what to plant.

      Delete
  5. Great veggie garden! I love flowers mixed with the vegetables. I've never done marigolds, but have done nasturtiums, purslane, and johnny jump-ups. I have never done a square foot vegetable gardens and was wondering, how do you keep sprawling plants (like squash) from taking over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first square foot garden so I'm not sure if I can control the sprawl. I think I bought a bush zucchini so I'm hoping for the best. I have some nasturtiums in the bed, but Johnny jump-ups sound delightful.

      Delete
  6. Malutki ogródek, ale dobrze zaprojektowany. Powinien dobrze wyglądać wśród kwiatów. Ja nie sadzę w ogródku warzyw, oprócz groszku, który traktuję jak owoc.Bardzo go lubię. Pozdrawiam.
    A tiny garden, but well designed. It should look good among the flowers. I do not think in a garden of vegetables, except peas, which I treat as a fruit. I really like him. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a fine looking garden, well planned. The Margigolds are a nice addition, for bug patrol and because they are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I were the guilt-ridden type, I'd look at your crops and feel really bad about my un-food growing. As it is, I just want a taste or two of yours. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing that website! I'm going to play on it. Your garden looks great! It's growing nicely. Can't wait to read about your harvests. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...