8.27.2012

Goodbye Patricia

Patricia Tryon was a frequent visitor to my blog and one of the earliest bloggers that befriended me. She introduced me to the photography of Karl Blossfeldt and the botanical art of Pierre-Joseph Redouté. This spring I was on a blogging hiatus for a few months because of school and was wondering where Patricia was in the blogosphere when I came back. I followed her on twitter and hadn't seen a post in a while. As it turns out, she passed away on April 14, 2012.

While on vacation in July, I was reading some book reviews on Amazon and stumbled upon one that she had written. I knew it was the same Patricia Tryon because she had done a review for a book of photographs by Karl Blossfeldt and used her full name. One thing led to another and I googled Patricia Tryon. Upon entering Patricia Tryon, the search engine auto-populated Patricia Tryon obituary and I learned of her death. The last thing she tweeted was I know what it feels like to cough up a lung.

She was an avid blogger and had several blogs going at once, but my favorite blog was Picturing Plants and Flowers. In it she introduced me to the world of botanical art and artists. My favorite post of hers was of lilies by Walter Hood Fitch. I would look at it on cold dreary winter days and think of summer blooms.
She mentioned to me that her daughter went to school in Santa Fe. Patricia also loved to shop at Santa Fe Greenhouses and its online presence High Country Gardens. One of the last things that she commented about this year was that she still had not gotten used to the late frost date in Colorado. It's the same one that we have in Santa Fe, May 15th.

Rest in peace Patricia. The blogging community will miss you!

17 comments:

  1. ..... It's difficult to believe! Patricia commented on my tulip post on the April 11th, 3 days before she's gone: "Gorgeous photos, Tanya. Really lovely." She managed to say kind words to people and make them feel good when she, herself, probably, was sick.
    Thank you for letting us know. Patricia will be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered about things like this happening. I've often thought I should leave instructions in my will that should I die that the executor of my estate leave a notice on my blog and twitter accounts notifying followers of my death. An online community is still a community and we feel the losses just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very sad! It sounds like she left a community that will remember her contributions to the natural world. I often wonder what happens to those that stop blogging without any notification. I agree with Susan's comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad news. Has happened to me several times that I have learned from the German blog about one blogger who has died.

    Veľmi smutná správa. Už sa mi stalo viackrát, že som sa z nemeckých blogov dozvedela o niektorej blogerke, ktorá zomrela.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always sad to lose anyone, even those met through online experiences.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very sorry for your loss, Theta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, GirlSprout. I remember seeing her cheerful comments here. She seems to have been a giving person with a gift for the beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tribute post. Like pen pals of the "old" days, internet friendships can be meaningful too, even if you never meet face to face. I'm sorry about the loss of your friend, Theta.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have written Patricia a lovely tribute.The internet is often thought of as a big impersonal place, but in reality you do make friendships. You get used to someone's cheerful voice, wit or humour and come to welcome their visits. Loosing a friend, even one over the internet is always a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bardzo smutne jak traci się blogowego przyjaciela, tym bardziej, że był Ci bliski. Jest mi bardzo, bardzo przykro. Piękny kwiat jej podarowałaś. Pozdrawiam.
    Very sad to lose a blogging friend, the more he was close to you. I am very, very sorry. Beautiful flower you gave her good-bye forever. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've done a wonderful thing writing a touching tribute about your friend. At the very least, she is remembered and that's all anyone could ever hope for. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for all the kind thoughts and words. I wasn't sure whether to publish this post, but I'm glad I did and got to say goodbye to Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely memory of a great lady I am sad I did not know...but your tribute is just wonderful and I am glad to have gotten to know her a bit....

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sad to lose a virtual friend! Her family and friends would appreciate your tribute. I wonder if they know the influence she had in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sad to have lost your blogger friend. You have given her a beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful piece written about a blogging friend. So sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely tribute to your friend! I am sorry for your loss. She seems to have been a very interesting person and to have left lots for all of us to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...