8.12.2012

Almost Free Plants

This post was supposed to be entitled "Free Plants." Alas, a clearance sale got the better of me. Two weeks ago today, I received an email from Santa Fe Greenhouses, the flagship store of the online nursery High Country Gardens stating that perennials were 60% off because they are closing for the summer after August 26th. (I hope they're are only closing for the summer and not for good since it's my favorite nursery.)
I went shopping during my lunch break. When I arrived, the parking lot was already full so I parked on the street. As I entered the nursery, I saw that the line to pay went out the sliding glass doors and about 30 feet to the left to the entrance of one of the greenhouses. I almost made a hasty exit because the queue to pay was so long, but I didn't. I made my way around the perennial tables and found a plant or two or three or....
Walker's Low catmint (nepeta) is one my favorites. Catmint can drive gardeners crazy because of its propensity to reseed EVERYWHERE. Walker's Low is a non-reseeding cultivar. It blooms in the spring and fall if the flowers are deadheaded. I don't always deadhead in spring, but I usually will have fall blooms nonetheless. I also got some more silver edged horehound (marrubium rotundifolium). 
I went looking for some Pat Vlasto sage (salvia jamensis), but to no avail and ended up with some Prairie Sage (salvia azurea). I also got a row cover and some seaweed fertilizer. Aside from the perennials being 60% off, the garden supplies were 40% off. Everything was free because I had two gift cards and belong to the waterwise gardeners' club and had points that I could redeem towards purchases. Yea for gift cards from my friends who know that I'm obsessed with plants.
Last Friday, I received another email that the plants had been replenished. Maybe, there were some plants that I couldn't live without. I haven't been gardening much this summer so I thought I would pop over for a look-see. I still had a small balance on my gift card and points from the previous week's purchases so my whopping total for four plants was about $1.86. 
Well this Friday, when I came into the office my supervisor showed me the Santa Fe Greenhouses advertisement in the local paper and perennials were 70% off! Gallon plants that are usually $10.99 were $3.30. So I loaded up with Flore Pleno poppies and Blue Lips penstemon and a salvia, gaura, and spirea thrown in for good measure. I have three plants left to plant from my shopping spree(s): a Black Cherry salvia, the spirea and a White Swan echinacea. However, I did spend money today, $31.81 on plants and sundry garden supplies. However, on all three of my shopping trips I saved around $126. Hooray for summer clearance sales.

22 comments:

  1. What plants. What bargains. Now, to find time to do all that planting. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one lone spirea left to plant so I'm proud of myself for almost finishing my planting. Now I need to add drip emitters so the the plants are watered.

      Delete
  2. AMAZING!!!! I'm so happy for you! I once bought a car load of plants at a Lowe's that was selling everything for a $1. I already have a short list of plants I want out of HCG's fall catalog. I highly doubt they'll be 60% off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I was exciting at perennials being 50% off. I love the HCG catalog. I used to save them to read all the planting tips and as reminders for plants I purchased that they no longer carry.

      Delete
  3. It was really a bargain. The also would like to go too, but I have become aware of any sales in our gardening. I wish you to all those plants grow nicely and I enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the plants do well, too. We had rain on and off for a few hours yesterday so I hope they get off to a good start with the extra moisture.

      Delete
  4. That's fantastic sales. You got some nice stuff. Don't think they are going out of business as I just got their catalog a week ago, unless it's just the local store they are closing. They've been sending out cards also for a discount.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's only the store that closing until spring. Someone in line the first Friday mentioned that it might be so they could concentrate on the catalog business. The fall shipping starts August 28th.

      Delete
  5. To Ci przybędzie sporo kwiatów w ogrodzie niedużym kosztem. Pozdrawiam.
    That you will come a lot of flowers in the garden of a small cost. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's probably more plants than I've bought before at one time. I'm looking forward to next spring.

      Delete
  6. What a bargain! I wish the nurseries around here would do some great sales. Last year, when the drought was in full force, there were lots of sales - and I didn't dare buy a plant! You look like you've got some great plants there, and you will have so much fun planting them in your garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I didn't do much buying or planting either. This year the summer flew by so I'm glad to be doing some planting and to fill in some bare spots in the front and back perennial beds.

      Delete
  7. Gift cards, points and bargain sales?! Can't beat that combo! : ) Looking forward to seeing your plants later, once they're established in your garden and blooming, especially the salvias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't believe I managed to parlay all of those things for oodles of plants. The salvia azurea had pretty pale blue flowers on it. I hope it overwinters well.

      Delete
  8. Oh I am so envious since I have visited that greenhouse and just love it...I love the plants you chose and wow the savings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some summers, it feels like I'm there every weekend, but this summer flew by. I must be getting all of my planting in at once. :)

      Delete
  9. Ooo, I love that silver edged horehound! What a fabulous deal! I love High Country Gardens - they have quality plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some silver edged horehound last year and it was so pretty that I couldn't resist the bargain.

      Delete
  10. I was just beginning to feel good that I finally had all this summer's purchases planted out in the garden when I too came across a few hard-to-resist clearance sales. Now, I have a fresh collection of flower pots awaiting my attention. It is hard to pass on such great deals isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done much planting this summer so I'm glad to get my hands dirty. We had some moisture so it was a good time to plant.

      Delete
  11. This is how I like to shop! It's hard to resist a bargain, and now you have some wonderful plants. They all look very healthy too. I have a gift card to my favorite nursery, and soon they will have their huge labor day sale. I get shivers thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually spend my gift cards right away, but I'm glad I held on to them. Enjoy your shopping trip to your favorite nursery.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...