3.07.2012

Bye For Now!

I started my project management class (Contract and Procurement Management) for this semester about six weeks ago. Even though it's an online class, it requires more essay writing and online participation than my previous class so I haven't had much computer time for fun. I'm taking a hiatus from blogging until about mid-May when my class ends and my garden starts showing some signs of life. 

My parting recipe for you is "red beans and rice." I made this a few weeks ago for a Mardi Gras party. Red beans and rice is traditionally served on Mondays in New Orleans because that's when women did their washing. The beans could be started in the morning before tending to the wash and would be ready for dinner. 

Mardi Gras Party
Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice
16 oz dried kidney beans
2 lbs smoked sausage – cut in rounds
1 ½ onions chopped
3 celery stalks finely chopped
1 bell pepper chopped 
½ tsp sage
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper
3 to 4 cloves of garlic finely minced
Salt to taste
baking soda for soaking beans
cooked rice

Soak beans in water with some baking soda for a few hours and rinse.
Sauté smoked sausage for a few minutes until brown and drain fat. You can substitute turkey sausage, but I've told it's not as good when I do that. Add all ingredients except for rice to crock pot (slow cooker) and add water about 1 ½ inches above all the ingredients and cook on high for 10 to 12 hours until beans thicken. Serve over rice. Serves 8.
 
There was also yummy gumbo, bread pudding, and king cake served at the party, but my camera phone wasn't cooperating with me and the photos were blurry. 

I'll try to pop by everyone's blog when I have time. See you in a couple of months. Cheers! 

17 comments:

  1. Good luck with your class, and we'll look forward to seeing you when you return!

    Thanks for the recipe! We love red beans and rice, and it would be great to try making it from scratch as opposed to from a package like I always have (hiding a rather shameful face at the thought of all the cooking I do that comes from packages..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your text is for me not clear whether the student or teacher :-( Sorry. Cause in my English. I cook often the bean soup, but a combination of beans and rice I've never eaten. I look forward on your return to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and enjoy your class...I look forward to seeing you again May. The recipe looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with your class! We love red beans and rice! I will have to try out your recipe. Enjoy your time studying and I will look forward to seeing you in May.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with class and I look forward to seeing your garden in May. Your recipe makes me miss NO. I lived there for 7 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll miss you, GirlSprout, but in the meantime learn lots of amazing and useful stuff! "See" you in May. Thanks for the recipe--it looks like the perfect warmer-upper for today, in fact...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recipe was really amazing--and wonderfully simple, too! Leftovers for lunch today.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad the recipe worked out. :) It's easy and inexpensive and warms you up on a cold day.

      Delete
  7. Online classes, in my experience, can be even more work than non-virtual classrooms! I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red beans and rice is one of my favorite meals, but didn't know about the Monday thing. Love it. Good luck on your class and we'll be here when you get back.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your classes - we'll see you again in May :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, Theta, you couldn't have left on a more delicious note. I'm tasting that meal from here. And, missing you already. Good luck. I look forward to your return, by which time I'll have repeatedly tried your fine recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That recipe sounds yummy! Good luck w/your class. Time seems to fly by quickly, so May will be here before you know it. Can't believe we'll be half-way thru March soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Theta I wish you all the best in your class! Do good work and make us all proud and let us know how you did in May.
    (till then, I'll will enjoy seeing your pins!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dziękuję, że mnie odwiedziłaś :-). Czekam na Twój powrót, ale teraz ucz się Pozdrawiam.*** Thank you :-) you visited me. Waiting for your return, but now learn to greet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh all the best with your studies, how exciting!! You sure will be missed though in the world of G-Blogging. If you ever need a study distraction ;) Looking forward to your return...huge hugs and good luck! Cheers Julia xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...